Grönefeld 1941 Grönograaf Stainless Steel | LE188 | Choose Strap
|PROUD WINNER GPHG AWARD 2022
While Grönefeld produced a number of different watches endowed with a variety of complications, it had never made a chronograph… until now. The limited edition 1941 Grönograaf is the latest creation to be conceived in Oldenzaal. It is a classical chronograph, but consistent with the Grönefeld ethos and incorporates several ingenious details. This 1941 Grönograaf is the distillation of three generations of watchmaking know-how, of the professional journeys of both Horological Brothers and the manifestation of their extraordinary passion for horology. Available with a choice of straps.
Build your own 1941 Grönograaf
- Python: Green/Blue
- Alligator: Brown or Blue
- Buffalo: White, Brown, Grey, or Blue (orange or blue stitching)
A limited edition of 188 pieces. Please contact Jeremy@osterjewelers.com or call 303.572.1111 to reserve.
Unlike mass-produced cam-actuated chronographs, the 1941 Grönograaf features a classical configuration, namely a column-wheel and lateral coupling, a combination synonymous with high-end watchmaking. The calibre G-04 is a symphony of 408 parts and a wonderful exemplar of no-compromise watchmaking. Mindful that chronograph movements are often subject to harsh forces that can sometimes scar hammers and bend hands, The Horological Brothers conceived a less aggressive system, a ‘soft reset’ mechanism. A centrifugal governor, positioned at 4 o’clock, typically seen on minute repeaters, slows down the reset function, thereby proving kinder to components while delivering a fascinating spectacle in the process. The governor includes two solid gold weights.
Depending on the position of the heart-shaped cams for the counter hands, the relevant minutes and seconds hands rotate clockwise or counter clockwise, heightening the sense of mechanical theatre. The 30-minute counter, located at 6 o’clock, features an ‘instantaneous jumping minutes’.
The ruby jewelled hammers lessen the impact when returning to zero. The keyless works features a conical winding pinion and crown-wheel, delivering a smooth winding action. Every detail is intended to augment refinement. The variable inertia balance mitigates positional influence and offers superior rate stability. The Philips terminal overcoil enhances isochronism, effectively causing the balance spring to breathe more concentrically.
The mainplate is embellished with spotting, while the bridges are formed of stainless steel, polished by hand. Moreover, the bridges have micro-blasted centres, circular graining on the top and feature various engravings in relief. The heart-shaped cams, the elongated chronograph bridge, the gold chatons and the screw-heads are embellished with black polishing, performed in the traditional way using diamond paste on a tin plate. Consistent with earlier Grönefeld watches, the finishing is worthy of the term ‘Haute Horlogerie’. Indeed, everything is reassuringly Grönefeld.
- Diameter: 32 mm
- Thickness: 6.15 mm
Number of parts
Number of jewels
45 jewels, partially set in solid gold chatons.
- Column wheel
- Instantaneous jumping minutes and a soft reset mechanism
Variable-inertia balance wheel with four white gold timing screws (diameter 10 mm)
Free sprung with Phillips terminal over coil curve with triangle hairspring stud
Jewelled Swiss lever
Spotted & ruthenium electroplated brass main plate
- Stainless steel, bevels polished by hand, micro-blasted center
- Circular grain on the top to highlight the bridges shapes and engravings
- Relief engraved Grönefeld logo and the number of jewels
Governor Speed Regulator at 3 o'clock
- Diameter is 40 mm with a thickness of 11.3 mm
3 ATM / 30 meters (100 feet)
Stainless steel (limited edition of 188 pieces)
- Stainless steel, engraved with The Horological Brothers Logo
- Stainless steel base with rhodium plated-sub-dials and elements frosted and satin-grained surfaces.
- Decentral hours and minutes at 1 o'clock
- Subdial for seconds at 9 o'clock
- Power Reserve indicator at 11 o'clock
- Large central seconds counter
- 30 minutes counter at 6 o'clock
- Visible "return to zero" speed regulator at 3 o'clock
- Extended Lancette hands for hours and minutes
- Poised Breguet style chronograph hands
- Flame-blued steel and mirror polished centers
- Buffalo leather
- Pin buckle made in Stainless Steel 916L engraved with Grönefeld
- Domed sapphire crystal on the front with hard anti-reflective coating on both sides.
- Flat sapphire crystal on the back with hard anti-reflective coating on both sides
Number of components
- 36 parts (case)
- 40 parts (dial/hands)
Stainless Steel 85 Grams
Oster Jewelers is an Authorized Grönefeld Retail Partner