De Bethune DB28 Steel Wheels Sapphire Tourbillon | LE10
Faithful to the DNA of the ‘Maison’ nestled in Sainte Croix in the Swiss Jura mountains, the limited edition (only 10 pieces worldwide) DB28 Steel Wheels Sapphire Tourbillon ably perpetuates the heritage of its predecessors: perfect balance, contemporary and bold aesthetics at the service of exceptional mechanics.
A limited edition of 10 pieces available worldwide
When the first DB28 was launched in 2010, De Bethune's idea was to present a timepiece with an identity of its own and a resolutely futuristic vision of the art of watchmaking. The design naturally follows through in the spirit of the Manufacture’s creations. The distinctive shape of the case and the crown at 12 o'clock, inspired by pocket watches, are characteristic features of the contemporary aestheticism specific to De Bethune. It is on this timepiece that the patent for De Bethune's unique, innovative floating lugs, designed to significantly improve comfort, acquired its full meaning. Since then, the DB28 – named Best Watch of the Year and awarded the Aiguille d'Or prize at the Grand Prix d’Horlogerie de Genève (GPHG) in 2011 – has never ceased to express past, present and future watchmaking culture through different variants.
Always in the spirit of taking things further and as far as possible, on the DB20 Steel Wheels Sapphire Tourbillon, Denis Flageollet designed the sapphire glass components, cutting them by laser with utmost precision so they fit in perfectly with the forms, rises, angles, the teeth – the bridge as well as the barrel covers – all perfectly adjusted like lace of
sapphire crystal. To this is added a ring of polished titanium to circle each barrel cover. The sight of the delta bridge and two barrel covers in sapphire crystal is something never seen before.
In the vast array of complications and functions, of horological disciplines in which De Bethune has become a virtuoso, the tourbillon often played a leading role. The DB28 Steel Wheel took a step further towards sophistication and supreme refinement with its moon, and today this gives way to a tourbillon featuring an extraordinarily lightweight cage (0.18 grams, the lightest ever created). Rotating on itself every thirty seconds, it comprises a total of 63 components (the lightest of which weighs less than 0.0001 grams!).
- Hours, minutes, 30" indicator via the ultra-light De Bethune tourbillon cage at 6 o'clock
- Power reserve situated on the back
- Circular-grained titanium hours ring
- Spherical polished titanium hour-markers set and 30" dial on a blued polished titanium circle
- Ultra-light DeBethune 30" tourbillon in titanium, De Bethune innovation (2008)
Minutes and hours hand in hand-polished sand-blasted blued titanium
- Polished grade 5 titanium
- 43mm diameter
- 9.8mm thickness
- Sapphire crystal
- 1800 vickers hardness with double anti-reflective treatment crown at 12'o'clock
- Setting in two positions
Open in brushed grade 5 titanium that opens in a linear power reserve in rosé gold 5n
- Sapphire crystal (hardness of 1800 vickers) with double anti-reflective coating
Number of parts
- Concave polished grade 5 titanium plate cover
- Hand made mirror-polished grade 5 titanium motion works bridge - barrels bridge adorned with : "Côtes De Bethune" and "Microlight" engraving
- Hand-polished, chamfered steel parts.
- Self-regulating twin barrel, De Bethune innovation (2004)
- Titanium balance wheel with white gold inserts, De Bethune patent (2016)
- "De Bethune" balance-spring with flat terminal curve, De Bethune patent (2006)
- Silicon escape wheel
- Ultra-light De Bethune 30" Tourbillon in titanium, De Bethune innovation (2008)
Number of jewels
36,000 vibrations per hour
Extra supple alligator leather with alligator lining
Oster Jewelers is a De Bethune Authorized Retail Partner